Affiliate links may be included for your convenience. View our privacy and affiliates policy for details.
If you’re looking for something fun to do with your kids beyond trick or treating for Halloween, check out the new Halloween-themed ebook bundle from MeeGenius.
MeeGenius is a free app for kids aged 8 months to 8 years that encourages reading on electronic devices. It can be downloaded on the iPhone or iPad, and comes loaded with four free books (you get two more if you register the app).
Kids can read the books themselves or have them read to them, and words are highlighted as the narrator reads them.
There are all sorts of book available, from classic fairy tales to Sesame Street books and more. There are bundles of princess books, fairy tales, books about school and books grouped by the child’s gender and age. (Though you can probably guess I’m less than thrilled by limiting kids’ reading choices based on gender identification, it’s still a useful way to categorize, I guess.)
The Halloween bundle includes 11 books and retails for $19.99. Buying each separately would cost $35.89. The books include:
- Piggies in a Pumpkin Patch by Mary Peterson
- Sesame Street Which Witch is Which? by Michaela Muntean
- Spella Witcherella by Brooke Keith
- Haunted Party by Iza Trapani
- The Hiccup Mummy by C.L. Vaughn
- The Halloween Costume Contest by Cecelia Minden and Joanne Meier
- The Little Green Witch by Barbara Barbieri McGrath
- Halloween 1-2-3! by Iza Wojciechowska
- Harriet’s Halloween by Greg Worswick
- The Halloween Costume by Anne Sawan
- Poison Apple Pie by Jennifer Young
Whether you buy the Halloween books or not, this is also a fun app that will encourage kids to spend some of their device time reading instead of watching videos and playing games, which can only be a good thing, particularly if it translates to more real-world reading, too.Do your kids read on their devices? What are some of their favorites? I’d love to hear!
In case you were wondering, I was in no way compensated for this post, I just think reading is cool.