Affiliate links may be included for your convenience. View our privacy and affiliates policy for details.
I don’t know why it is that I have about a million ideas for holiday cards in my head. I’m sure it’s the influence of Pinterest. I don’t even send holiday cards. (I say that’s because if you feel compelled to send someone a card you should do it, not because it’s the holidays but because you want to. It’s possible I’m just lazy.)
In fact, I’m pretty sure this particular card is directly inspired by Pinterest browsing. There are certainly lots of cards out there that use a variation on this theme of using ornament shapes made to look like they’re hanging on a card. It’s easy to see why, because it’s adorable and super easy, at least the way I did it.
What You’ll Need
- a card (mine is 5×7)
- some winter-themed scrapbook paper (mine is from Jo-Ann, natch)
- a printable ornament shape (I got mine from Homemade Gift Guru)
- a bit of contrasting ribbon (mine came in a spool of 4 designs I got at Target for $1)
- marker to coordinate with the ribbon, optional (I used an Identi-pen, mostly because I just bought them at Jo-Ann and wanted to try them out)
- glue (I used Elmer’s, but whatever adhesive you like for scrapbooking would work, too)
What You’ll Do
- Decide what size you want your ornaments to be. I made one of mine 2 inches across and one 4 inches across to put horizontally on a 3×5 card. Print out the shapes.
- Cut out the shapes and trace onto the back of your scrapbook paper. Cut out.
- Decide where you want your ornaments positioned. Cut lengths of ribbon that are slightly longer than you need to get to the point where you want the top of the ornament to be.
- Glue down ribbon, then glue down ornaments.
- Trace around the ornaments with marker, if desired.
- Cut out ornaments in different shapes as well as different sizes.
- Embellish the paper by drawing on it with glitter glue, adding rhinestone stickers, or however else you like to bring the bling.
- Add holiday-themed stickers or die-cuts.
- Sprinkle on glitter for a snowfall effect.
- Add buttons, or embroider along the edges of the ornaments instead of using marker.
Do you send holiday cards? Do you make your own or buy them? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for visiting, commenting and sharing!