Affiliate links may be included for your convenience. View our privacy and affiliates policy for details.
Somewhere in my journeys on the Internet I came across the new (just started last month) crafty challenge from Adventures in Making and thought, why not? The challenge was to create a craft on the theme of herbs and spices, which made my mind turn to the rosemary plant we just brought inside because it’s freezing outside.
And because it’s cold and dry I also thought of body scrub recipes, because I love scrubs for exfoliating and moisturizing in the winter. They also make great gifts, so keep it in mind for teacher gifts, neighbor gifts, whatever little giftable occasions you have coming up.
Rosemary oil is supposed to be great for skin conditions, and it just smells really nice, so I hope you’ll give this one a try.
This one is based on the basic brown sugar body scrub recipe I started making a few years ago, with a few additions. Other than coconut oil you probably have everything in the house you need for this one if you keep rosemary.
- 2.5 cups brown sugar
- quarter cup coconut oil (organic is great here)
- one lemon
- two sprigs of rosemary
- additional oil such as almond or olive (optional and may not be necessary)
What You’ll Do
- Melt the coconut oil. I zapped mine for 25 seconds in the microwave. Stir it and let it sit a few minutes, then stir again and all the solids should dissolve.
- Take the rosemary off the stems. Zest the lemon and chop both together. It doesn’t have to be too fine, but you do want it to mix in well.
- Put the brown sugar in a bowl, breaking up any big lumps. Add the oil and the rosemary lemon mixture.
- Stir it up, adding more oil if needed, until all the sugar is wet. You can use more coconut oil for this if you like, or choose another oil like almond (which I used this time) or olive.
- Put in small jars to gift. This amount fills two little wide-mouth half-pint mason jars, which are totally adorable, but you can use regular jars if you have them on hand.