Affiliate links may be included for your convenience. View our privacy and affiliates policy for details.
This week’s Iron Craft challenge was to make something for someone you love. I had been making some crocheted hearts (from this super simple pattern from Repeat Crafter Me; it’s not her fault mine all came out different sizes) but I wasn’t quite sure what to do with them.
Then I decided, since there are three of them and they are all different sizes, just like the number of members of our family, that I would like to give them to the girl. I thought it would be cute if she had a way to store them and carry them around, take them to school as a reminder that we love her all day long.
So I made a little felt envelope to put the hearts in.
This is a really easy project, especially if you’re comfortable with embroidery. You could, of course, make it completely no-sew by just using fabric glue, but the embroidery ups the cuteness factor quite a lot and it does not by any means have to be perfect. That’s part of the charm, in fact.
What You’ll Need
- Scraps of felt (I used hot pink for the envelope, and tiny bits of cream and red for embellishments)
- Fabric glue
- Embroidery floss (I used pink and lavender) and needle
- Stick-on Velcro patches (or a button if you want to get fancy)
- Things to put in your envelope
What You’ll Do
- Decide how big you want your envelope to be. Based on the size of my hearts I went for about 5 inches wide and 10 inches long.
- Fold the piece into thirds. The bottom part will be the envelope and the top the flap. Cut the top third into a triangle shape so it looks like an envelope.
- Decide on your embellishments. I made a stamp with a heart shaped glued to it and embroidered the girl’s name on a piece of felt. I used fabric glue to glue the stamp and label to the envelope, then sewed them in place.
- Fold the envelope again and sew up the sides and around the edge of the triangle, if desired. I used blanket stitch and contrasting thread.
- Attach Velcro pieces (or cut a buttonhole and sew on the button) to keep the envelope closed.
- Tuck goodies inside.
I hope the girl will like this! I had a lot of fun making it. It also happens to be a great size for a gift card if you wanted to make one for a date night gift for your special someone.
Are you crafting anything for Valentine’s Day? I’d love to hear about it.
This is so cute! My son would love this.
Soooo cute! Sharing and pinning!